Friday 14 September 2012

Books to film/Tv - Sort out your screenplay.

Something that really guts me, is when the film or TV show of a book makes barely any reference to the original source in the first place.

I think this is something that narks a lot of people, but I felt like I wanted to share my views on it today.

I've read countless books and watched countless films, but watching the film of a book almost always leaves me disappointed. By now, I've learned to treat a film or TV show of a book like just that- A TV show, or a film, and try to completely separate it from the book it came from,  but sometimes, it's just not that easy.

I know this 'rant' or 'gripe' may seem like just another book worm moaning about how screenwriters ruin books, but, it's not like that at all. I understand that screenwriters have to do their best to cram a 4/5/or even  600 page books into two or so hours, but, they can still do that using events that actually happened in the book, instead of adding completely irrelevant scenes that make no sense and have no connection to the book in the first place. Honestly, why add a scene that has nothing to do with the book, instead of adding an actual scene from the book? I think a lot more people would give films better reviews if they stuck, just loosely to the story line.

Anyway,

Rant over..

I may have another in a moment..

But I haven't decided..

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure ;)

Thanks for reading!

Alie :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment