Monday 10 September 2012

Is ignorance really bliss?

The saying goes "ignorance is bliss" but is it really?

When I think about it, although the truth may not be what we want to hear,a lot of people would rather not live a lie. I know that some will say "Well, if you don't know something is a lie, then it can't hurt you, ignorance is bliss you know.." but honestly, can you imagine living a lie, and having everyone around you know what's really going on? Would ignorance really be bliss then? I don't think it would.

Another scenario might be, and in most cases is the common scenario people use, what if you were in a relationship and your partner was cheating? Would you really feel like ignorance is bliss then? Once again, you wouldn't know, so it wouldn't hurt you, but these things have a way of getting back. Eventually, you'd find out, and you'd feel a fool for not noticing all along.

To be honest, a lot of the time, we all think "I'd rather not know, i'd rather just think my own thing and get on with it." but sometimes we have to ask ourselves, would we really rather not know? Just think about all the things that could change if we did know the things we'd rather not, what differences we could make.

On the other hand, it may actually be better to live in ignorance of the things that can hurt us. We'd all be saved a lot of heart ache and pain and we could just get on and live in our own happy little bubbles, but still, thinking about all that could be happening behind the closed doors of our happy bubbles really freaks me out.

I'm all for living in ignorance of what could hurt me, but when I think about the reality of life, I realise that although it's a nice concept, none of us really can live in ignorance because one way or another, we will always find out the things we've been trying so hard not to learn.

For my final note on this matter, I'd like to link to an absolutely amazing song by one of my favourite bands, Ignorance is bliss, by Room 94, it's such an emotional and heart felt song. Everyone and anyone can relate to it in one way or another and I think it's actually one of my favourite songs to be honest. On a personal level, I can relate to the lyrics entirely and the whole song sends blissful shivers up my spine. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRw-5pvMRT0&feature=plcp)

So how do you feel about the saying? Leave a comment if you want:)

Thanks for reading!

Alie :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment